Thursday, May 28, 2015

Minnesota!

After taking a few days to get situated into this new lifestyle I was able to get out to the lake tonight to do a little fishing. It had been windy all day but had died down as the sun went down. I took to the dock with a pole set up for small panfish and another for larger fish such as largemouth bass and northern pike. The sunfish were spawning in the shallow water and I quickly had little nibbles on the jig. I put a bobber on in the jig and quickly caught a sunny full of eggs. I decided I was after something a little bit bigger so I put a chartreuse twister tail on my other line and sent the green jig flying through the air towards the middle of the lake. After a few casts I was reeling the bait in when I noticed a dark figure following inches behind my lure. I recognized the fish as a pike, probably around 18 inches. How I would have loved for him to take the my line but that was not to happen. I kept fishing as lightning lit up the Western horizon when I got a phone call from a friend. I put the phone between my ear and shoulder and kept casting, praying I didn't lose the phone to the lake. Another several casts later while I was still on the phone and as the lure splashed into the lake I quickly felt the weight of a fish on the end of my pole. This was the first fish on this rod and reel and I had to adjust the drag and worry about my phone call. I kept saying how great it would be to catch this fish in such a fashion!! Halfway in, the fish jumped clear out of the water and I saw it was a decent bass. As I continued adjusting the drag I found myself looking at the line going underneath me and the dock. The line quickly wrapped around one of the poles in the water. When I unwrapped the fish I attempted to reach down to grab the fish because I was not confident I could lift him out of the water. Without warning the bass shook his head like all largemouths do and the hook lost its hold. I quickly told my friend how this was all his fault! Only  caught one little fish but had a couple great encounters, I have some high hopes for the summer as far as fishing goes.

The ecology of this part of the country is so different than back in Iowa and seeing these contrasting environments makes everything a lot more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment