Saturday, November 21, 2015

Another Beautiful Day

               Temperatures finally stayed below freezing for the first time this weekend but I could not let that stop me from getting outdoors. About 10 O'clock this morning I hit the road for a county park North of the Cities called Elm Creek Park. After driving around trying to find a place to park my car and stretch my legs for a couple hours I ran into a little dirt parking area. I pulled out my cold weather gear, got my camera ready and headed into the woods. As soon as I broke into the forest the consistent crunch of leaves underfoot sent two bedded does high-tailing it across a ridge top. I realized that there must be good reason for deer to be on high-ground (the ability to look for predators and the sun is best felt there) so I climbed the hill where I found a perfect path to walk on. The landscape consisted of all sorts of deciduous trees with their millions of dead leaves covering the forest floor and a bright blue sky which was nearly cloudless.

            As I continued my hike I realized that all around me were trails that seemed to snake back and forth nearly everywhere. There were no leaves on them and packed as hard as rock. They were for mountain biking but I could use them to my advantage. While staying on the trails I could move uninhibited and with making virtually no sound because of the lack of leaves. In places I found low points in the trail where water and mud collected. Here I could tell who had been the most recent visitors before me. Many places I saw deer tracks, some raccoon, or the occasional boot print or even the slightest sign of a previous bike rider from a week or so ago.

           At one point the trail suddenly veered left and I found myself standing in the sunshine surrounded by grasses waist high. As I moved on I found one pine tree standing all alone in the grass about 30 feet high. I stood there looking at it as chickadees flittered around and the sun filtered through the pine needles. I moved passed the tree and headed up the hill through the grass. As I reached the top I stood there admiring His creation. The sun reflected of the prairie grass in every direction in the golden hue that only late fall and early winter can give off. I heard dogs barking a mile away where I had seen a dog park. After walking through the "prairie" I started on my way back towards the forest and ultimately my car.

            On the way back I heard some movement not 20 yards from me, a doe was moving through the brush but I heard her stop. It was amazing how hard it was to spot her through the thick undergrowth even though she was close. I tried to get into a position that I could get a picture of her but she did not stay still and I flushed her out the woods and she shot up and over the hill. I kept moving along the trails hoping I knew where I was. I realized that the cold, yet sunny weather had the squirrels working in over time, they were everywhere! I finally found the original ridge where I saw the first two deer on and I headed back. I looked up and saw a doe (probably the same one) standing 30 yards away. I was amazed that I had time to get my camera out and get a couple pictures of it before she went the opposite direction. I was thrilled to finally get another decent picture of a deer as it had been a while since I've had time to really pursue the opportunity of seeing deer up close. I'm assuming next time I post on here you'll be seeing a lot more white in my pictures. Winter cannot be too far away at this point.





       Notice how the deer's ears are facing back towards me where the potential threat lies.


This picture gives an idea of what some of the landscape I walked through looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment