Monday, February 9, 2015

First Month Reflection

     This post is simply a reflection of how I have viewed the first few weeks of this class. So far this semester I have had a great time pursuing the field of study I am most passionate about. Having the opportunity to either do research or observation certainly does not feel as something I have to do rather something I get to do. It is great to be able to get outside of the city and relax on days that I do observation. Overall I see this course as a great opportunity for any student to expand on the subjects that they enjoy, which has certainly been the case for myself so far. The biggest roadblock that I have encountered to this point has been weather. I really have no desire to sit in sub-zero temperatures for any number of hours or if the road conditions are bad that also causes difficulties. I think the part of this project that surprised me the most was how much I enjoyed the photography aspect. I have found the challenge of relaying the images that I see on a daily basis to the readers of this blog a lot of fun. What I think will benefit myself the most in completing this course will be my note-taking/observation skills and my writing skills. I have never spent so much time in the woods for the sole purpose of looking for anything that stands out and then jotting down quick notes simultaneously. I also have never down any sort of blogging as I am right now. This writing technique is completely foreign to me but I am sure I can learn from the experience if nothing else. All in all I am extremely excited to see how the semester progresses, how the research flows together with my observations, and how I can grow from the experience as a whole.

3 comments:

  1. Great reflection! You hit the nail on the head when discussing the skills you are using for this course. Roadblocks in this course, as well as life, will always be unavoidable. Glad you are able to work around them and show your flexibility. Your pictures are wonderful and have shown another of your talent areas. Your blog continues to be enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcus Branstad - DNR CommissionerMay 7, 2015 at 12:28 PM

    Harsh weather and subzero temps are annoying, but some of the best wildlife movement happen at these times. Also make sure you are out in the field for the first south wind after a major cold front!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not agree with you more! During the hunting season the harsher the conditions the better often, for this project I was content on just enjoying nature during its better times if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete