Sunday, April 26, 2015

Recent Outings

             I was hoping to be able to get into the field a few more times but do to weather and other events I have not had much time. The one time I got out was to go for a morning turkey hunt. As I pulled into the field to park my car I saw a pair of headlights following close behind me on the gravel road. The truck pulled in right behind me and I went over to talk to the man. He was getting ready to go down into the same property as me but a few hundreds yards away. He told me that he had gotten out the day before and had bagged a jake and was looking for a second bird. I immediately noticed one advantage he had over me. An ATV. While I was trying to pick my way through the grass and mud and avoid fences I heard the rumble of his four wheeler. Once again there was an incredible amount of gobbling and other noises coming from the birds who were still on their roosts soon after I had set up in the blind. It did not take long for me to hear the distinct calls coming from where the man had parked his ATV. After the first hour of sunlight the real birds calmed down and the only response I got to my calls were his.
           I stayed in the blind for a couple hours, knowing that I had to get back to school before long. Around nine o'clock I heard the distinct sound of the man riding back towards his truck. Even though I did not see any turkeys or deer I enjoyed seeing and listening to the birds that assured me spring was here. I had a pair of sparrows searching through the grass a couple of feet from my blind for several minutes. A woodpecker landed on a cornstalk and started searching for insects. Cardinals, blue jays, robins, and bluebirds could be seen flying around without a care in the world. Early in the morning the owls gave out their some vicious calls that I only hear every once in a while, not your ordinary hoot. Geese constantly flew back between the river, ponds, fields, and a nearby lake. Even though the day was uneventful, it was nice to sit down and enjoy nature as always. I hope to be able to get into the field several times this week to do a little more hunting, the weather looks great.




4 comments:

  1. Great pictures again! An ATV might be an advantage if it did not scare away all the wildlife. They aren't exactly quiet. Not as easy just to blend in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was my concern, his headlights in the dark stood out and I was afraid he got into the field a little late but I still wish I had that ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcus Branstad - DNR CommissionerMay 7, 2015 at 1:20 PM

    If I had a nickel for every time one of my hunts was messed up by another hunter... Stick to walking in. Also use your observation skills to "put a gobbler to bed" the night before, then go in early the next morning and quietly get set up as close as you can without spooking him. Stick it out as long as you can. I have harvested more birds sitting and waiting than calling into decoys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to fit in with my natural surroundings when we out, we rarely take any vehicle into the field. I was attempting to find the roosting site of the birds for that night. On the East side of the property the birds roost in different spots, on the West side the flock consistently roosts in the same place every night. I knew that if I could not find the East flock I could go to the the other side in the morning.

    ReplyDelete