Thursday, January 22, 2015

1-22-15

     I had no idea what to expect today as I headed out into the field. I was going into the timber from a direction I rarely go and I was unsure of where I would find myself. Almost immediately after going into the woods I heard commotion in the creek bed below me as two deer jumped from their nap. Halfway up the hill one of the deer stopped and I could barely outline his tail between the dozens of trees in between the two of us. The deer stood motionless for five minutes meaning if I made any movement I would be seen and the deer would be headed for the next county. As the deer started to turn to walk away I was able to glance at a beautiful pair of antlers on top of his head. I did not have any expectations of seeing him again but as I reached the place I wanted to sit for the evening I heard footsteps over the hill. I crept up and peeked over the hill and there stood a young deer standing 30 yards away watching me intently. I stood there taking pictures for a few minutes before I heard more footsteps and the buck I had seen walk away minutes ago was walking out into the field towards me. For five minutes or so the two deer walked around chewing on various plants before finally being spooked enough to run down the valley away from me. I would assume that the younger deer was a button buck due to the shortness of the snout and the fact that he was with another buck. From my experience, bucks tend to stay together throughout the year other than during the rut. I took a seat along a fence line and watched for any movement for the last hour and a half of light. During that time I saw a Bald Eagle and some sort of large bird most likely a hawk or an owl. As the sun set over the horizon I heard a small mammal running towards me. I saw a flash of orange jump in to a tree and race into a nest near the top. A squirrel was arranging his bed for the evening. As I got up to leave I began to walk where I saw the two deer earlier. I immediately heard the crashing of leaves and the white flag of a deer's tail bounding away from me. Today was an incredible day to be in the woods. To have a chance to be so close to this buck, which is bigger than most men, without disturbing him was quite an experience.




3 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I am amazed you could get that close. Were you just using your phone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcus Branstad - DNR CommissionerMay 7, 2015 at 11:58 AM

    Great Pictures. Notice how this 8pt has a broken brow tine (sometimes called eye guards), likely from fighting with another buck in the area. His neck still has some bulk from rut. This will gradually shrink through winter and he will bulk up again next fall for another rut. I would guess this deer is 2 1/2 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I find it incredible how the muscle mass can change so drastically every year in deer. The split G2 and broken brow tine helped me distinguish this deer from others.

    ReplyDelete