Wednesday, January 28, 2015

1-28-15 Observation

     On one of the warmest days of the month I knew I had to get out to do some observing. I don't know if it was because of the warm weather but the wildlife seemed to be everywhere today. When I first sat down it was partly cloudy, 50 degrees with a brisk wind from the South. I sat down next to a scrubby evergreen on the edge of a corn field next to a stand of timber with a small clearing running against part of the fenceline. If you read my 1-22-15 blog, I was sitting very close to where I saw the buck about a week ago. I was setup by 3:20 and immediately the song birds began fluttering throughout many of the trees around me. In the distance I heard the crow of a pheasant as the wind died down significantly. With out the constant hush of the wind in the trees, a few minutes before four O'clock I sensed the faintest of noises coming from the North. Slowly I stood up and kept my eyes peeled on the edge of the woods. After a few moments I heard a few footsteps and I pinpointed where they were coming from. I saw a brown figure start moving which I soon realized was a deer. One foot at a time the doe stepped from the grass and into the corn field but before long I noticed the deer had somewhat of a calm nervousness about her. She began looking around and carefully walked right back from where she came from, there is a good chance she had caught my scent in the wind. I sat back down and took in the sights and sounds of the chattering squirrels and birds. I can't quite put a finger on it but today when I looked around, the fields and the treetops had a beautiful golden tint to them. Half an hour after seeing the deer walk away I heard a snort from a deer deep in the valley. Certainly a deer had come across my scent and was alerting all other deer in the area of my presence. A little while longer I heard movement to the South, as I stood up I saw a couple turkeys darting away disappearing behind the tree trunks. There could have been close to a dozen of the big birds but they never came into full view. As I sat next to the scrubby evergreen with the last half hour of sunlight fading away I heard geese honking far away, squirrels barking at intruders, raccoons fighting each other for possible mates, and as I walked across the top of the muddy cornfield I could hear the howling of coyotes fill the air for miles. Each one of these species interacting with their own kind but playing a very large part in the environment.



3 comments:

  1. Your pictures are wonderful and your writing continues to read like a novel. Maybe your future career could be a wildlife author! The picture of the sun through the trees is fabulous. I am glad you expanded the study beyond turkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcus Branstad - DNR CommissionerMay 7, 2015 at 12:15 PM

    You have mentioned many times, deer catching your scent while you are out. Getting close to whitetails is very difficult. Playing wind direction and being scent conscious allows you get closer and remain undetected. Keep the clothes you wear in the field in a separate container. Even get dressed out in the field in order to not pick up any odor from your vehicle or other environments. I use a plastic tote bin and spray down with scent eliminating liquid when I head into the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. During the hunting season we are much more conscious of our scent. During this time I relied primarily on wind direction to avoid being detected but when I was moving through the woods or the deer appeared where I was not expecting them to I was often discovered.

    ReplyDelete